Business Casual Basics, Part III: Shoes
If you’ve spent any time learning about men’s clothing (be it from family, friends, or the internet) you’ve probably heard a disproportional amount of talk about shoes. Shoes are a huge part of what dressing well is about (both in cost and importance), even though they take up a fairly small amount of space on your body. It can’t be stressed enough; shoes are often what separate the men from the boys, and business casual workplaces are notorious for bad shoe choices. A little bit of knowledge here will go a long way. Shoes are also the foundation of your outfit in stylistic and structural terms; if you buy well and take care of your purchases they will in turn keep you comfortable and stylish for decades.
1. Save up some money.
This one has the potential to get expensive. Accept the fact that high-quality shoes will be expensive if bought new, and can even be pricey when bought secondhand. Thrifting can be a good option here as well.
2. Learn the differences between “real shoes” and bad shoes.
High-quality shoes are expensive for many reasons, but the biggest two are material quality and construction. These qualities are much more important with shoes than they are in a shirt or pair of pants because shoes need to stand up to a tremendous amount of wear. Read Kiyoshi’s post and Put This On’s article to get a sense for what I’m talking about. If you buy a high-quality welted shoe that fits well and is well taken care of it will last for decades. Trust me.
Need some help finding out which brands can be trusted for high quality shoes and which can’t? I’ve included a short list at the bottom of this post, but my rule of thumb (toe?) is this: don’t buy shoes from any manufacturer that can’t tell you what last their shoes are made on. Any respectable shoe maker will have products on a range of last choices and will be able to tell you about them.
3. Understand the different styles and their applications.
Ready for some shoe terminology? This should be enough to get you started.
everything you should know about shoes guys
337 Notes/ Hide
- thebrownstroll likes this
- jeeeunjang likes this
- walkinrealslow reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- hipsterich likes this
- theoldfashionedways reblogged this from sooperlouie
- eyesofthebroken reblogged this from abzmedia
- splendidlou likes this
- catbarajas likes this
- inspiredc6h12o6 likes this
- paulparkman likes this
- indikos likes this
- kattasticia likes this
- deaf-heaven reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- pork-carolling reblogged this from adelineangelfield
- chef-johnny likes this
- cornishmania reblogged this from masturbate-over-time
- masturbate-over-time reblogged this from summer-square
- titorocket reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- justcallmejude reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- poerkoelt likes this
- claudiogold reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- theonethatbelieves reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- theonethatbelieves likes this
- tapetiteblonde likes this
- acetothemax reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- colormekidd likes this
- indiasworld likes this
- amblingengineer likes this
- negroidprototype reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- putchuuinmahoven likes this
- thosebeautifulimperfections reblogged this from nonamenotheralias
- mrsockless likes this
- tmbacq likes this
- tehbestestmenswear likes this
- themenssection reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- enjoynicethings likes this
- enjoynicethings reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- thechoiwooyoung likes this
- sartorialmess likes this
- itrueartist reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- itrueartist likes this
- chasewhiz reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- jd5787 reblogged this from fromsqualortoballer
- northstar5775 likes this
- prodigydreamer likes this
- dangerpark likes this
- andrewsheleg reblogged this from summer-square
- webethinkinglikemen likes this
- webethinkinglikemen reblogged this from bourbon-and-bowties
- blkmo1 likes this